• Welcome Guest
Angels

Welcome to the Angels.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Moreno near tv deal worth 4Bill?
  • 10/18/10
  • CalifCajun
I sure hope what you're reporting isn't kool-aid.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 10/18/10
  • dcangelsfan

>If this is true, maybe he will get that big bat hes been talking about for the last 5 years.<

Speaking of "five years", isn't there still 5 years remaining on the FSW contract?

I guess given the buyout of the Rangers rights at a higher value, Arte must've demanded the same. Given the SoCal market size, broadcast rights fees of $100m a year (double what the current contract has) doesn't appear to be out of line.

The alternative? - Arte should be in talks with Anschutz - a regional network with Galaxy, Lakers, Kngs, and Angels would be a monster, (perhaps, too large), and the threat of such provides a lot of leverage.

Of course, the McCourt outcome might see a fire sale of Dodger's broadcast rights, so who knows the impact of that?

• Reply to this Message
  • 10/18/10
  • lightitupbaby

" Arte must've demanded the same. "

I doubt he's demanded anything. But I'm sure he's presented them with a plan. A plan where they benefit greatly from him spending more money on marquee players. They put up more money, he puts more into payroll, everyone benefits.

• Reply to this Message
  • 10/18/10
  • Angeleer

< They put up more money, he puts more into payroll, everyone benefits. >

As opposed to the Dodgers...They put up more money, McCourt puts more into the divorce, Jamie benefits.

• Reply to this Message
  • 10/18/10
  • charlesangels

"As opposed to the Dodgers...They put up more money, McCourt puts more into the divorce, Jamie benefits."

Better that then more houses for Jamie McCourt. O-e-vay, did he get hitched to a trouble-maker.

• Reply to this Message
  • 10/18/10
  • RMunkee

"Better that then more houses for Jamie McCourt. O-e-vay, did he get hitched to a trouble-maker."

What makes HER the bad guy in their scenario?

It takes two to tango, plus birds of a feather flokk together.

• Reply to this Message
  • 10/18/10
  • charlesangels

"What makes HER the bad guy in their scenario?"

Kind of reminds ya of the Brown-Whitman Governor's Race, doesn't it.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 10/19/10
  • RMunkee
This was the second thread about this.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 11/14/10
  • TNT_27_44
Has anyone else heard or seen anything on this? It came from Gamons so I don't know the validity of it. If it is even close, don't you think we should be hearing some rumblings about this by the local media? I think this may be false. Gammons is the only that has mentioned this.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/14/10
  • matsuiland
If Crawford, Beltre and Soriano are signed i will believe it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/14/10
  • TNT_27_44
Yes, that would do it for me too
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/15/10
  • DirkDirx

As I understand it, like the Rangers' TV deal for $1.6B, it could only come into effect after the current contract with Fox Sports ends. For the Rangers, their current deal ends in 2015, so the new deal was probably negotiated as an extension of sorts with Fox. The Angels have a current TV contract for $500M over 10 years til 2016 with Fox, so any deal would have to wait to come into effect after then anyway.

The thing is, though, that the Angels (Arte) can take equity loans out of their current $500M TV contract, and use it as subsidies for player salaries now. Since the Dodgers seem to be on the decline, Arte must believe that the time is now to invest in top FA players to field a championship Angels team, and cut away at the LA Dodgers market.

If there's a $4Billion TV deal in the future, any money he spends now (even if there are losses or loan repayments) would be considered investments towards that $4B deal, and the Angels would be the top dog in LA, maybe even the west coast. Shrewd business gamble.

• Reply to this Message