• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• To:All
  • 7/12/12
  • vinfrommv

Can somebody please tell me why Booze is not only legal but celebrated and yet Weed can put you in jail?

I smoked plenty of weed in my day and the only place a so called "OD" would put me is the drive thru. Never made me sick at all. The worst reaction is a minor headache.

The other night, I drank almost a whole bottle of booze and a couple of more shots could have put me in the ER or possibly the grave. I was so sick it was terrible. Couldnt stand, sleep, sit, or lay down. Couldnt function at all. Its only the 3rd time I have gotten this way from drinking, but every time I think to myself, how in the world is this poison celebrated and cherished part of culture and a harmless plant gets you thrown in the slammer!

W>TF is wrong with this country? Why can't we just legalize weed and tax it. I know dam>n well we could use the revenue.

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/12
  • Mort2112

"how in the world is this poison celebrated and cherished"

Some people are mature enough and smart enough not to drink a whole bottle.

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/12
  • vinfrommv

really? so you never drank more then your limit in your life right? you are so impressive.

and what about the thousands who die every year from over drinking.

you do know that booze is poison right? it can kill you slowly too.

how many people has weed killed? ZERO!

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/12
  • Mort2112
Not since I was about 19. How old are you?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/12
  • vinfrommv

much older than 19.

but you ignored my other points. what if a young man or woman who you loved drank too much and died? How would you feel? You would still look at booze companies and the FDA that decides what is legal and what is not the same?

You wouldnt rather they were puffing a few j's?

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/12
  • Mort2112
I think they both should be legal.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/12
  • vinfrommv

ok, so what are we arguing about then? we agree.

jeez, you could have said that from jumpstreet!

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/12
  • Mort2112
I was pointing out that just because you and others abuse booze, that doesn't mean it should be outlawed. Do you want to outlaw anything that can be abused? Did you know weed causes cancer? Why would you want to legalize something that causes cancer?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/12
  • vinfrommv

weed does not cause cancer. there have been no studies that prove this and I challenge you to find one.

btw, i was NOT advocating for banning booze. I was just pointing out that booze is much much much more dangerous both short term and long term to health than weed is. And because of this, I find it quite disturbing that one is legal and celebrated and the other can send you to jail.

Edited 7/12/12   by  vinfrommv
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/12
  • Mort2112

LOL, you really are a dope.

From cancer.org

Many researchers agree that marijuana smoke contains known carcinogens, or chemicals that can cause cancer much like those in tobacco smoke. Studies have shown changes in the linings of the breathing passages in marijuana smokers.

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/12
  • vinfrommv

well, most weed smokers dont smoke 20 cigs a day like tobacco smokers.

so while it may cause cancer, it probably takes much much much longer than tobaco to get it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/12
  • Mort2112
Just admit you have no idea what you are talking about.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/12
  • JoseJose
The last I remember hearing about this, weed is more potent (including the carcinogens) than tobacco, so you don't need to smoke 20 a day as you said to be harmed. I am not holier than anyone else, but if you are an adult with responsibilities, especially family responsibilities, weed is not good for you, as it reduces social/emotional attachments for many people. 2 out of 3 of my friends who still smoke - their wives left them for their partying/lack of responsibility. So I really am Ok with it being illegal, but I wouldn't really care if it was legalized. At any rate, you seem to be calling for personal responsibility instead of regulation, yet you drank a whole bottle of booze? Seems quite ironic to me - you are a commercial for a lack of self-restraint. Keep drinkiing like that and your liver issues will trump your beef about pot being illegal. Yes, I agree liquor is bad for you - if you know that why did you drink a whole bottle? Let me guess - you were stoned ;-)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/12
  • ken-t

Simple booze is a multi billion dollar industry, whereas weed can be grow in your backyard. It's not in corporations best interest.

As far as health concerns, weed when smoked has some health risks (you'ld have to smoke a heck of alot) besides weed can be used in cooking, candies and other products eliminating this risk.

Alcohol has liver disease, heart disease it affects every organ in your body. Plus it's addictive.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 7/12/12
  • CAPT_ALLCAPS

Actually, smoking marijuana does not cause lung cancer. This is according to the largest study ever conducted on marijuana and lung cancer.

http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/news/20060523/pot-smoking-not-linked-to-lung-cancer

Alcohol, on the other hand, is a known cause of cancers of the:

-Mouth
-Throat (pharynx)
-Voice box (larynx)
-Esophagus
-Liver
-Colon and Rectum
-Breast

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerCauses/DietandPhysicalActivity/alcohol-use-and-cancer

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/12/12
  • captainmet
smokin weed for 32 years. Healthy as a horse ...knock on wood
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/13/12
  • LGMETS2012

"I am not holier than anyone else, but if you are an adult with responsibilities, especially family responsibilities, weed is not good for you,"

It may not be "good" for you but I don't think its necessarily bad, either.

It's about moderation. If you choose to smoke a J every Saturday night at 8PM when the kids are asleep or out playing with friends, you won't run into problems. It's when you start smoking before work or family events that it becomes a hindrance, but the same could be said about booze.

As somebody who's had plenty of experience with both, I can say that some of the scariest experiences in my life have been related to booze (and other illicit substances). Weed? Not so much..

Edited 7/13/12   by  LGMETS2012
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/13/12
  • lgm55
First thing I've ever agreed with you on... weed should absolutely be legal.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/13/12
  • vinfrommv

At any rate, you seem to be calling for personal responsibility instead of regulation<<<

IF I WANT WEED LEGALIZED, ISNT THAT DE-REGULATION?

weed is not good for you, as it reduces social/emotional attachments for many people. 2 out of 3 of my friends who still smoke - their wives left them for their partying/lack of responsibility<<<

unless you were these couples therapists, you are in no position to say why their wives left them.

secondly, it seems highly unlikely that women who dont smoke would marry some potheads. birds of a feather usually flo>ck together. lastly, how many women leave husbands because they are drunks? or degenerate gamblers? or tobacco smokers? all legal recreations.

Thirdly, weed is a drug usually shared. it actually makes you more emotional and calms the nerves. if anything, it increases your emotional attachment to your fellow man and your environment. Weed makes people less agressive. Alcohal actually leads to violence.

the poster who said that you could grow your own weed, is spot on....that i sthe only reason it is not legal. because it would be hard to make enough money on it and it would destroy the alochal and perscription drug buisnesses.

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/13/12
  • vinfrommv
bingo!
  • Reply to this Message