• Welcome Guest
San Francisco Giants

Welcome to the San Francisco Giants.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Melky contract will have to wait...
  • To:All
  • 8/8/12
  • z4cy5

Heyman reporting Giants suggested to Melky a Carlos Quentin type deal. Now looks like he'll test Free Agency.

Typical of Sabey Sabster to offer an insulting contract first. I understand offer low and try to meet in the middle, but at least offer something reasonable!!

3yr/27 does NOT land Melky!! 5yr/60 is more like it.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/19755726/emerging-star-melky-and-giants-agree-to-pick-up-contract-talks-after-the-year

Edited 8/8/12   by  z4cy5
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/8/12
  • BusterPosey28
So he's <pissed now or what?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/8/12
  • z4cy5
I can't speak for him but I'd be pretty insulted. Now if he tests Free Agency, there will be someone willing to overpay.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/8/12
  • cajjz109
Yeah, that is a ridiculous offer, and I can't imagine why the Giants thought he would take it. Even if he is willing to sign a three year offer, I think it will take at least 12 million/ year to get him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/8/12
  • JoeGiant

I can see it now...

Dodgers
Marlins
Yanks
Sox
Cubs
Angels
Dbacks
Mariners
Phillies
Orioles
Mets
Reds

Will all line up and back the Truck up. Melky will goto highest bidder (and why wouldn't he?)

Only way we get him, is that he actually WANTS to be a Giant, and gives us an option to match the money that is gonna be thrown at him, same as Beltran, same as ANY free agent.

Go Giants. Go Melky...don't hate the playa...

Edited 8/8/12   by  JoeGiant
Edited 8/8/12   by  JoeGiant
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/8/12
  • gntsfan17
Yea, 3 years at $27M is really insulting, couldn't we at least offer him something fairer so as to not insult him?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/8/12
  • furlough
I'd go 3 for $33 million
  • Reply to this Message
Message 144434.8 was deleted
  • 8/8/12
  • gntsfan17
I think a 3 year $36M with a 4th year option would have been a good starting offer, then work from there
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/8/12
  • marichalman
ugh. this might turn out to be a hot poker in the a-rse move by management.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/8/12
  • enfoe
Can you imagine how bad this team would be without Melky? The giants need to sign him and they need to sign him before FA unless they want to see him on the dodgers.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/8/12
  • lonestargiantfan

Hey z4cy5,

I think everyone needs to remember that Cabrera is less than 2 years removed from nearly playing himself out of MLB.

I'd love to believe he's figured out that it's best for everyone if he continues to train and play at a high level, but it'd take a loon not to realize that he could do a complete about-face after signing his big FA deal.

The fact that Hunter Pence is likely to cost $13-14M in his final year of arbitration isn't going to help the Giants' bargaining position much.

I think Cabrera will likely land somewhere else AFTER a contentious contract negotiation with the Giants. The good news is that New York and Atlanta are not likely to be interested.

LoneStar

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/8/12
  • gntsfan17
Same can be said about Vogey though
  • Reply to this Message
Message 144434.14 was deleted
  • 8/8/12
  • sk8888

I see your point LS. But everything points to Melky "getting it," i.e. growing up.

I'd like to think we will be competitive. Not in a Barry Zito length contract, but at least a three-year, with option on the 4th, that mirrors McCutcheon.

• Reply to this Message
Message 144434.16 was deleted
  • 8/8/12
  • ndnow
It's a common negotiation tactic also, doesn't mean he's mad. If the Giants come back with a deal that is in the ball park they will begin talking again.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/8/12
  • CenCoastGFAN
Agreed. I'd still give it a 75% chance that they get something done before he hits FA. He's said he'd like to stay, Sabean said they've got the flexibility to get it done. That's the 2 biggest issues out of the way right there. Negotiations are rarely done in a flash.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/8/12
  • ndnow
Also if you look from Melky's perspective, he must be looking for a long term deal. He hasn't exactly been the most consistent player over the past few years. It would be in his best interest to take more years, which also leaves room for our cheap ownership to pay him less.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/8/12
  • AussieSF
imagine if someone gave you a 5 year commitment? would you give up on those dirty needles?
  • Reply to this Message