• Welcome Guest
San Francisco Giants

Welcome to the San Francisco Giants.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• O.T. Hawaii vacation help?
  • To:All
  • 1/15/13

Hey, I don't know where else to turn..lol.

The wife and I were about to book a trip to the Cayman Islands for March and realized we couldn't find her passport anywhere.

So we are starting the process to get it replaced but don't dare take it for granted that something could be delayed and we wouldn't get it in time...

So we decided to go to Hawaii instead. I've been searching the last few days online but it's all so annoying, trying to sift through..

I know a bunch of you guys have been there, so I'd thought I'd ask for help from guys I actually "know".. The online ratings annoy me because 1 guy says 5 stars, best place ever, the next guy says 1 star, horrific place..lol

So, we're looking for just your basic, sitting on the beach, good eats, some snorkeling.. Don't want to be secluded but don't want to be in the middle of 20 somethings partying till 3 am ethier..

Looking for 4 or 5 star type resort..

Any help? Thanks.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13

I went to Oahu after high school. Granted this was back in '88 but it was more of a party island. Lots of locals offering to sell us drugs.

I went to Maui about 8 years ago and absolutely loved it. The town of Lahaina is amazing. I took a helicopter ride over the rain forest. They have kayaks and pretty good food.

I'd suggest either Maui or the big island.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13

Thanks Z. I was leaning to Maui right now...

I've never wanted to go to hawaii before, it seems so crazy crowded.. But with my wife's work, she has to schedule vacations way in advance and we already took the time off..

• Reply to this Message
Message 148464.4 was deleted
  • 1/15/13
Are you using the Marco strategy and pretending to be a regular?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
lol. I just did the exact same thing. Was planning a trip to Jamaica and realized no passport so I'm going to Hawaii. Leaving in 5 days.

What Island do you want to go to?

I'm going to Oahu and the big Island.

Staying at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach in Waikiki (Oahu). Normally I stay at the Sheraton Waikiki because they have the best views and it's right on the beach, but I've heard good things about the outrigger now that they've finished their remodeling. Do not stay at the Hilton Waikiki. They are rated pretty good but they've got construction going on right now.

If going to Oahu be very careful selecting a hotel because most of the hotels are owned by the same 4-5 companies and are all named very similarly. There are ~5 Outrigger hotels, two are named outrigger reef. Same with the Sheraton. You want to stay at one of the hotels right on the beach. It's just better that way. But most of the hotels are not, they claim to be "on the beach" but they are actually across the street. Do a google maps search on the hotel you're considering to make sure you're staying at the right one.

After that I'm flying to Kona. I'm staying at Hilton Waikoloa Village. This place is f-king epic. It's a huge resort type place rather than a regular hotel. There are waterways through the resort so you can swim/take a boat/paddle board/snorkel through it or just take the monorail. They've got dolphins in the hotel. This is a good place to stay IMO because you're still in civilization right at the hotel, but it's not far away from a bunch of really really nice private secluded beaches as well as lots of other activities.

< http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com/

I'll be going to the observatory while I'm there as well as checking out the volcano and doing some snorkeling.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
"Can't go wrong with Mauai but for more beauty, smaller crowds and fantastic beaches look into Kauai. "

I think Kauai is almost too secluded. Not that much to do besides chill on the beach.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/15/13
Ive been to Hawaii close to20 times now but the last ime was about 20 years ago...
  • Reply to this Message
Message 148464.9 was deleted
  • 1/15/13

"Can't help with Maui Heat but I was at a conference in Oahu 2 years ago, and stayed at The Sheraton Waikiki which was great.

Perfect location and right on the beach.

Seemed to be more families than young party animals there so that shouldn't be a problem.

Gtromi lives there so once he sees this thread he'll be able to give you a lot more intel."

That's where I always stay when I go to Oahu. It's pretty great.

• Reply to this Message
Messages 148464.11 through 148464.13 were deleted
  • 1/15/13
"Are you sure you are not thinking of Lanai?"

lol. Yes. But yeah, Lanai would definitely be more secluded considering it's privately owned.

" That's really secluded with only two hotels and one small town "

I'm from Hawaii organically. When I lived there it was owned by Dole and was really just a big plantation.

"Have you been to Poipu or Princeville?"

Both, but I was pretty young when I went to Poipu. Went to Princeville a few years ago. It was cool, I liked it. But still, a little too low key for me.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
"And Oahu is too touristy."

Oahu is really touristy and crowded. But it's that way for a reason. There's some really cool sh-t there.
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 148464.16 through 148464.20 were deleted