• Welcome Guest
Boston Red Sox

Welcome to the Boston Red Sox.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Mentkiewicz has the ball- Shaughnessy
  • To:All
  • 1/7/05
well i might find that i regret posting this but i used to post frequently on the twins board and found most of them to be respectful and intelligent baseball fans. from what i have read here over the last 6 months, i find the same to be true here so i will at least impart the truth of this story. yes doug does have the ball and yes we did authenticate it after the series. thank god we did or any person off the street could claim they had the ball. we have told numerous sources since the series ended that we have the ball and not until this article have we been approached by anyone with the red sox to return it to them for a museum. furthermore, the first we heard of that was through the media and not through a personal conversation with anyone with the red sox. doug and i have no intention of selling the ball for profit. doug did say he could be bought, joking and laughing the whole time. he also said how much he knows the value of this ball and what it means to red sox nation. so before everyone goes crazy, know this, we have always had the ball, we have told other media sources we have it and they have never pitted us against the ownership. there must be some agenda here that i am unaware of but i am sure doug and the team can resolve everything and all will be happy in the end.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/7/05
Would he give it to the MLB HOF if asked to?

Edited 1/8/2005 11:32 am ET by kisersox
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/7/05
Thank you for your post! Doug seems like a great guy, and I'm sure by now you've learned that enough people around here don't believe every slant the media tries to create. Best of luck getting this thing resolved, and we look forward to watching Doug play next year, wherever that may be.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/7/05

The timing of this story tells it all. In the last two weeks we haven't heard anything remotely interesting hot stove related.

They pay CHB to write stories like this one, and they pay him to write it right about now.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/7/05
Yah well, it s*cks.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/7/05

The timing of the story and who wrote it should not surprise anyone on this forum. Same old garbage.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/7/05
There are enough people who believe it though. I seriously wonder how some of these players put up with that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/7/05
honestly - until this morning- we had not even talked about it. so to be completely forthcoming, i don't know where it will go first. i am sure it will end up there. like i have said- we have not even talked to the management to find out what they would like to do. one thing we know - it should not sit in a safety deposit box. we need to discuss with the red sox where it should go, whether it be to a museum, or the Hall or on a tour. this should have been a conversation we had privately but i guess it gives people something to get fired up about when exposed to the public. based on the way the media operates up there- you guys will probably know before i do as to what happens.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/7/05
Do you guys always believe the press, and the GLOBE for that matter? I bet you shaunEssay just twisted the words to make him look like a jerk. The best stories always run like that. ;)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/7/05
But would Doug give it to the Hall of Fame if asked to?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/7/05

Thank you, Jodi! Much appreciated. (Pssst, tell Doug NOT to talk to CHB - a/k/a Shaughnessy.)

Btw, tell Doug that I would really love to see him at 1B in Fenway in 2005. I'll tell you what, if my husband ever did the splits that Doug does at 1B, well... it wouldn't be pretty. ; ) Chaiah

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/7/05
Sorry, I didn't mean to post the same question twice.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/7/05
Would you mind greatly if I posted this on another site?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/7/05
Just curious--you've been a member of the Sox fan forum since February of 2004?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/7/05
Do you suppose this article is an indication they're leaning towards Millar (or someone else)? I feel like we've seen this "drag them through the mud" scene before...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/7/05
Maybe the ball was given to him after the game. Teams often give a "game ball" (the ball that made the final out) to the person who made the final out to remember that moment. If indeed this did happen the ball does belong to Minky and the sox have no rights to it. That is like if I gave you a gift then decided I wanted it back after three months because other people could enjoy it as well.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/7/05
It is likely that she has been a member of the mlb message boards since then. That date does not change when going from one board to another.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/7/05
yes i think he would let them display it with the rest of the memorabilia - if that is what the red sox want to do with it. like i said- we haven't talked with them - they might want something else to happen with it first.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/7/05
No, I think this is just another indication of CHB being what he is.
  • Reply to this Message