• Welcome Guest
Los Angeles Dodgers

Welcome to the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• DePo just said on FSW2 Green to be 1base
  • To:All
  • 4/4/04
  • scullyisgod
Depo said Roberts will go to right, and Bradley to center and Green to 1st.

Good move, Depo. Get the best bats in the lineup!

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/4/04
  • oldbear190
Wow thats interesting.

I'm surprised that Roberts would move to right though?

Roberts has a very very very weak throwing arm. And to put him into RF???

They must be really high on Bradley's range in CF...

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/4/04
  • ladfan2323
he said roberts will play LF not RF, I think they want to keep bradly in CF or whereever he wont get upset about... and start killing ppl

Edited 4/4/2004 6:39 pm ET by ladfan2323
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/4/04
  • oldbear190
Ok that makes more sense.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/4/04
  • bob007hh
Bradley is going to be in CF because he's a better defensive CF than Roberts is. He gets to more balls and has a stronger arm.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/4/04
  • throwdeuce
Fantastic, although I think it's Roberts to left and JE in right. This also means the Dodgers keep their best option of a lead off hitter in the lineup.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 4/4/04
  • ramesses
Hi:

With Roberts (LF), Bradley (CF), and Encarnacion (RF) we are basically playing with 3 CF’s. I’m listening to the game (the Angels’ broadcast is unwatchable – talking about “brown nosers” and outrageous unmitigated propaganda) and Ross makes everything so hard. Baseball is not brain surgery! Roberts has the weaker arm and thus LF! Outfield is Outfield. Please!

Best regards,

Ramesses

• Reply to this Message
Message 22832.8 was deleted
  • 4/4/04
  • unlazy4sports
Not only does Bradley improve the offense, but with 3 CF's in the outfield, add that to what was already the best defensive infield in the NL last year, the team defense will be even better than last year. I'm sure the pitchers are happy.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/4/04
  • labits
Roberts at the top & stealing is the way to go...you said it, Deuce! And may I add, if it plays out with Green going to 1b, I am a fan of Green more than ever. He will certainly have put the interests of the team to heart, big time.

I like Mr. Incarnation in RF, too. Now Dodgers are 'plus' defensively all across the outfield, at catcher and the left side of the infield. That just rules. Yah, I think Roberts will be good in LF... his only lack was the distance challenged his arm. His throws seem spot on and he catches up to everything.

Hopefully Games will take his cues from Lo Duca, Green & Roberts, three solid character standouts on a team full of character guys. It would be nice to see a local guy make good (my youngest was born in Harbor City... a bit different than growning up there, but I have to pull for young Games even more because of it).

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/4/04
  • thebuland
I really believe this is the best way to go. While I think Bradley would more than be adequate as a leadoff hitter his abilities are best used in the middle of the lineup. I think he would be an excellent option in the three spot but we shall see how things play out. He has power potential and though we have not seen the homers as of yet, his slugging percentage last year was pretty darn good. Add the speed to hitting with average and getting on base and your looking at an ideal number 3 hitter.
But back the Green heading to first and keeping Roberts in the outfiled. My orignal feeling was that we would be best served to stick with Green in right and go get a secondbaseman who could leadoff. Of course first would then be lacking but I was willing to wait on Loney who some feel could contribute by years end.
Now with Green headed to first, probably the best defensive outfield in the league (and none to shabby offensively) emerges while we fill the black hole offensively at first. All the while keeping our pitching depth (not what it once was but still looking better than most of the league) so we can go grab a more offensively minded secondbaseman in season. As always, I will mention a player I feel will be one of top secondbaseman in a few years in Orlando Hudson. As we all know, the relationship between GMs is there. But we may have pulled off a coup in Antonio Perez. He has not lived up to the hype that made him one of the key figures in the Griffey to Cinci deal. At that point he was considered to be a player whom could develop into a top middle infielder both defensively and offensively. 5 tool if I recall correctly. To this point he hasnt developed the power, but the speed, defensively ability, improvement in batting average and obp are evident. In my opinion now he is an upgrade over Cora. But I think we will wait and see how things develop in season. See how the pitching holds up, get Shuey back, see if EJ rebounds and moves into the rotation, see how Cora gets going offensively and check out Perez in AAA. If at that point the pitching is holding up, EJ has responded and comes back up to be the 5th starter giving us surplus again, and Cora is struggling and Perez needs more time we could go get some offensive help at the secondbase position. Or if Perez is developing and Cora is all defense as usual we can bring Perez up.
I thinks things are looking up. I still support Evans but feel so far DePodesta has done a reasonable job. But the Bradly/Gutierrez trade will loom big and that can only realistically be judged a few years down the road. I think well really miss Gutierrez no matter what, but just how much falls on the shoulders of our new starting centerfielder, Mr. Board Game himself, none other than Milton Bradley.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/4/04
  • labits
I still struggle with the other moves DePo made. This one fell into his lap.

I'll take it!

As for 2B, maybe it will come together as you say... or, maybe Alex will return to hitting .291 and blooping stuff down both lines like he did 2002...not holding my breath or saying to wait for it, ya just never know.

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/4/04
  • Jason Robbins
you're absolutely right.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/5/04
  • plaza6
best defensive infield? you are kidding right? Hoow many gold gloves did the dodgers get last year? none. Izzy didin't deserve it and like it or not you have to hit somewhat to be considered for one. The cardinals were the best infield last year hands down
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/5/04
  • trobob
It fell into his lap, huh?

Eight teams wanted him, he made a deal that works to the Dodgers' advantage and you say it fell into his lap. He has shown an ability to go get hitters with an ability to get on base and gotten rid of players that have historically shown little offensive value without giving up one of our starters. I say he knows what he is doing.

• Reply to this Message
  • 4/5/04
  • bluegoat
I don't think Grabowski, Weth and Ross have shown much historical value either. Let's not exaggerate here. Granb wasn't going to make the A's and was out of options. Werth wasn't going to play for the Jays etc.

The deal did fall into his lap. The trade works to the Dodgers advantage because of what Bradley did in Cleveland, not because of what Depo did. A player with Bradley's skills and LoDuca's attitude wouldn't go for one prospect. He did pay a steep price considering the attitude problems. No way a young player like Bradley three years from FA goes on the block because of the team's choice.

• Reply to this Message
Message 22832.17 was deleted
  • 4/5/04
  • throwdeuce
Hi 'Bits, haven't heard from you on the other board lately, hopefully with the season starting that'll pick up. Caj is posting more.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/5/04
  • mikebacker
Trade,
Roberts doesn't have the arm to play right so that doesn't make any sense. Maybe Encarnacion to Right, Roberts to Left, Bradley to center and Green to 1st, but definitely not Roberts to right!!!!!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 4/5/04
  • blueinatl
I agree, the opportunity fell into the leagues laps, not Depo's. The Mets made a hard push, but Cleveland wanted a replacement in return. Depo has set a standard offensively, get on base or see ya. Our bench is younger, faster, and more versatile. If ABell hits? We have a good middle order going. Bradley is a "money-baller".
  • Reply to this Message