• Welcome Guest
Los Angeles Dodgers

Welcome to the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Dodger Mail Bag with Ross Porter
  • To:All
  • 3/30/04
  • tommyradio
I am happy to announce that this season, Ross Porter will be doing a pre-game segment called The Dodger Mail Bag with Ross Porter. Ross will be reading from your e-mails and letters each day and will even be getting players to answer some of them as well. You can e-mail Ross and the Dodger Mail Bag at ross@ladodgers.com.

We hope to have all of you participate as much as you can.

Tom Boman
Executive Producer
KFWB/Dodgers Radio Network
tommyradio@aol.com

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/30/04
  • joebruin102
I'm just really excited that A. Martinez is back... lookin good fellas! Ross is actually my favorite Dodger personality of all.. can't wait for the real sports season to start!

Edited 3/30/2004 3:27 pm ET by joebruin102
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/30/04
  • chinmusic
Great. You'll probably tape delay it until 2am so we can hear it interspersed with traffic updates unless the weak signal gives out first.

CM

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/30/04
  • paulmock
Thanks! Just sent in my question!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/30/04
  • Base Ball
it's actuallya good thing that we can't hear the games because the signal is so bad. i heard a rumor that ross will be doing traffic reports between pitches whenever an inning transpires during the precious "ones"
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/30/04
  • scullyisgod
Thanks for keeping us posted.

I love Ross. I think he does a great job day in and day out.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/30/04
  • oml1200
Why would you post something like that?

Tommy doesn't have to post anything here, but decides to give the most active of Dodger fans a heads up.

Are you that same guy who complained about Spen using CAPS?

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/30/04
  • Base Ball
i know it's not tommy's fault. i am not blaming him for the disaster that is dodger baseball on kfwb. he is not responsibl for moving the games to a staion that can't be heard in places like chatsworth, calabasas, agoura, thousand oaks, and simi valley. that is the fault of the pinheads at dodger stadium that didn't have enough knowledge about how terrible the kfwb signal is.

i posted it because kfwb seems more concerned about not losing the news and traffic on the station instead of devoting an all-out effort to the dodgers. if they want to do news, that's fine, i have no problem with that. but why take on the dodger commitment? we get virtually no dodger programming on the station and because the signal is so bad, we can't hear what precious little we do get. the dodgers on kfwb are purely and simply, a disaster! this franchise deserves far better than kfwb. the only positive is that if the team is a bad as it seems, the terrible signal will be a blessing because no one will be able to hear the s*cking sounds emanating from chavez ravine.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/30/04
  • crzblue
Thanks Tommy. I like Ross as he is a very knowledgeable.

FYI: I do not have problems listeing to the station during my drive from Chatsworth to El Monte. Do not have trouble pickng up the station at home. At work I cannot pickup ANY station but that is why I purchased MLB audio.

I will send my email. I had the pleasure of speaking to Ross during Dodger talk last year and actually won Dodger tickets from his trivia questions.

Thanks again.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/30/04
  • spainhour
Tommy, just one question?

Why does KFWB even bother having a billboard advertising Dodger games in Rancho Cucamonga, where nobody can pick up your stations' weak signal???? What a waste of money!!!

I had to pay my $14.95 for MLB audio just to hear the games!!

Where do I collect my $14.95????

Take down the sign, and pay us our $14.95 from the savings???

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/31/04
  • newsforu
This just in! There's a thing out there called "The Dodger Radio Network." Yes, life after only KFWB - which is received just fine here in the Riverside-San Bernardino area. But I digress.

I believe that many of those complaining about poor KFWB reception might be pleasantly surprised when they find a network affiliate in range. So dial up a network station and see what happens. We understand that out here AM 1570 will be the network affiliate. That's good because the transmitter is about a mile from my house. It's also interesting because that particular station is wall-to-wall, all-kinds-of-religious programming at all other times. People tune in early to hear new adventures in preaching, soul-saving and creative ways of asking for money. But I digress again.

None of this free advice does a bit of good for everyone who thinks that KFWB has shafted Dodger fans with its traffic reports and other interruptions. To those, I say that's life, guys. The idea that a flamethrower like KFI or KNX will become the Dodger flagship is nuts. Radioland doesn't work like it did in the days of Eric Tracy saying "hello, anybody" on KABC as he filled hours with meaningless chat before and after the ballgames. Give me a little pre-game, Vin and Ross and a minimum amount of Rick, a little post-game and I'm a happy, old fan. I like the fact that it comes to me free the best.

I appreciate tommyradio's comments and candor on this board from time to time. He doesn't have to do that yet he chooses to do so to connect with maybe the most loyal and certainly the most vocal Dodger fans.

Go Blue. But first, let us pray.

Edited 3/31/2004 12:48 am ET by newsforu
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/31/04
  • lasordablue
I hope that the pre/post-game coverage has improved over last season.
It really was annoying and disheartening that the Dodger games seem so much of an imposition to the 'All-News" format of 980 am.

Glad to hear Ross is back.

Thanks,
Dave

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/31/04
  • chinmusic
Upon reflection I must apologize to you Tommyradio because you truly don't have to go out of your way to inform this or any board. Thank you, it's appreciated. However my feelings on the poor way the station handles the team still remain the same. If you can do anything on the fans behalf to improve the station's dismal performance that too would be appreciated.

Thanks for your interaction,

CM

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/31/04
  • alllstarr
Please post transcripts of Ross Porter's show on the Dodgers message board since I can't hear KFWB's crummy signal out here in the boondocks of Thousand Oaks.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 22478.15 was deleted
  • 3/31/04
  • Base Ball
to newsforu et al:

fyi... i live in simi valley and like the guy from thousand oaks indicates, kfwb does not come in out here at night and we don't have an affiliate on the dodger radio network. we live 40 miles from dodger stadium and can't hear the games unless we subscribe to mlb.com. it's just flat out insane! trust me, mlb.com is not the most efficient manner to listen to games in your car, in your backyard, in the garage, and even in the office for those of us that are prohibited from accessing such on our office computers.

i understand your point about radio being different and the "flamethrowers" not wanting baseball. nice argument but... look around the n.l. west. the padres are on a flamethrower (xeprs 1090), the giants are on a flamethrower (knbr 680), the rockies are on a flamethrower (koa 850), the d-backs are on a flamethrower (ktar 620). our station is a far from a flamethrower. in fact, it's closer to a zippo lighter. look around other teams in baseball... the yankees are on a flamethrower (wcbs 880), the mets are on a flamethrower (wfan 660), the mariners, the cubs, the white sox, the pirates, the indians... all on flamethrowers. i understand your point but with all due respect, it just doesn't wash.

if this team were properly marketed, it would be a valuable asset to a flamethrower. kabc vaulted to the number one station in town because of their association with dodger baseball. but that was back when the team was great. this miserable kfwb situation is really a vacuum for us fans. the signal stinks out loud and the coverage is dismal. neither situation is conducive to helping grow the fan base which is what all of us dodger fans should want. until the team is better, we will continue to be stuck with a miserable outlet like kfwb.

i know it's not tom bowman's fault. i honestly think he is doing the best he can with the limited resources he has to deal with. i thank tom for his updates. it's just frustrating that they are useless to so many of us loyal, die-hard, fans of the blue.

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/31/04
  • newsforu
I hope my suggestions regarding the network were taken in the right spirit. Who knows what one may find by spinning a dial and having at least some signal come in at night.

I've been reading this board long enough to know the passion diehard Blue fans have, and I think it's a great pity such people have to suffer with an inadequate radio signal for a major league team, as pointed out so well in the above message.

How long does the KFWB deal run, anyway?

• Reply to this Message
  • 3/31/04
  • DylanFan
Just wanted to know if you guys are tape delaying the regular season games. Your station an McCourt are a perfect match.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 3/31/04
  • bumsrap
Will Ross be giving some of the baseball scores on that show like he sometimes did when he doing sports with Tom Snider? You know the routine. Now here's Ross with some of todays scores: 3, 5, 23, 6, 8.....
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Gibson to be Available Soon?
Latest by lompocfan - 8:43 PM
FINALLY!
Latest by TitotheDodger86 - 8:40 PM
Kershaw to pitch Friday
Latest by TitotheDodger86 - 8:25 PM
philly vs Los Angeles 4/23/14.
Latest by TitotheDodger86 - 8:23 PM
$230,000,000
Latest by cmanson2 - 8:18 PM